Eagle Point Park
Pictures from the park celebrates 100 years party
Renovated during the depression and located on the rock outcroppings overlooking
lock and dam number 11 on the mississippi river.
Location: West on Shiras Ave., off Rhomberg Ave.
Phone: (563) 589-4263
Hours: First Saturday in May to 4th Sunday in October , 7am-10pm Sunday-Thur and 7-11 Fri & Sat. Fees: $1 per car, $5 Bus.
Closed: for auto traffic during off season
Gardens: Flower Gardens
Other features: Tennis courts, horseshoes,
playground equipment, pavilions, barbecue grills,
nature trails, spectacular views, fish pond, Bandshell, and
Wheelchair accessibility limited.
The idea for Eagle Point Park was conceived in 1907 when Charles M. Robinson, a noted eastern park specialist, visited Dubuque. After touring scenic locations in Dubuque, Robinson made this comment to his hosts: “I have never seen a place where the Almighty has done more and mankind less, than Dubuque.” Most of his listeners were hurt by the remark, but one person decided to do something about it: Judge Oliver Shiras, one of Dubuque’s leading citizens.
A citizen committee was formed in April of 1908, and Judge Shiras was elected chairperson. In June of 1908, with aid from the Civic Division of the Dubuque Women’s Club, 100 acres were purchased from A.L. Rhomberg. The property was then deeded to the City and became Eagle Point Park. Since the original purchase, 17 parcels have been purchased or donated, which brings the park to its present size of 164 acres.
Streetcar traffic began to serve the park in 1912. The Union Electric Company constructed the track, turnaround, and waiting station in the area above the park entrance where the eagle statue and flower beds are located. In 1920, a bathing beach was constructed but closed when the lock and dam was built in 1933.
The park took on a new look in the 1930s when the City hired Park Superintendent Alfred Caldwell. A $200,000 Works Progress Administration (WPA) grant was received and the gifted landscape architect began work. His love of Frank Lloyd Wright prairie architecture is very recognizable in the buildings and gardens. Caldwell’s exceptional use of native construction materials, craftsmanship, and unique designs make the park one of the most beautiful in the Midwest.
Today, approximately 240,000 people visit the park each year and more than 1,200 events are held at the park. A hike/bike/walk trail, following the original trolley line trail, from Shiras Avenue to the turnaround with the large eagle statue was completed in 2010.
Eagle Point Park’s facilities include the Riverfront Pavilion, Shiras Memorial Pavilion, Log Cabin Pavilion, Terrace Room, Veranda Rooms, Indian Room, and the Bridge Complex. Other amenities include the Spray Fountain, Rock Garden and Fish Pond, six tennis courts, horseshoe courts, and a band shell.
The park is open from 7:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m. Sunday – Thursday, and 7:00 a.m. to 11:00 p.m. Friday – Saturday, from the first weekend in May through the fourth weekend in October.
Pavillion Rentals Click Here to view City of Dubuque’s Website
Widget not in any sidebars